Who Are These Snobs?

BRANDON - Although he's new to blogging, Brandon's been a snob for his whole life. When he's not toiling away at his day job as an official Taco Bell taste tester, Brandon can be found at his local movie theater trying to get a refund for his ticket to the latest Hollywood blockbuster that failed to meet his lofty expectations. Now he's ready to take his movie criticisms to the World Wide Web.


JENNI - Fresh back from touring with the Vans Warped Tour where her band Hooker Face rocked your body, Jenni has joined forces with Brandon to critique some of Hollywood's awesomest films. Don't let her rock star righteousness distract you - Jenni has a fine eye for discerning movie genius, as well as a quick wit for dispatching Hollywood dreck.

Monday, February 8, 2010

This Time the Snobs Visit Zombieland




Brandon: I've been so excited for this movie to come out on DVD! Most of the reviews that I had seen for this film described it as the best zombie movie to come out in years. The trailer looks gruesome and hilarious, and I'd heard that it's got a super-awesome secret cameo near the end that totally kicks ass. This had the potential to be a truly epic flick!


Jenni: I was equally excited. Zombieland follows the adventures of a small group of survivors in a zombie-infested world. And that's it in a nutshell. Sure, there's some subplots about finding love and companionship in unlikely places, but it's really just about different ways to kill a zombie.
Brandon: Yup, and like all good zombie-shooting video games this movie's full of lots of guns and baseball bats and falling pianos and such to kill the never-ending throngs of the undead. If you're looking for a film full of crazy ways to kill brain-eating monsters, this movie's going to be right up your alley. But, if you're looking for anything more than that in this movie, you're going to be disappointed.
Jenni: Agreed. Was it funny? Sure it was, but all of the really funny parts were shown in the trailer. Worse than that, even the best zombie kills were shown in the commercials on TV. Was there human drama (love, laughter, despair)? To a degree, yes, but really any scene that didn't involve zombies felt like filler material. The main characters were very good at killing zombies, but they were terribly stupid when it came to anything else in their lives. I'm not even sure how any of them had survived as long as they had. The movie basically focused on them making really bad decisions and then having to hurriedly find a way out of the ensuing carnage.
Brandon: Yeah, I'm with you. I spent the whole movie shaking my head and thinking of how dumb the characters all were. At least Woody Harrelson's character was charismatic when he was on-screen - he was fun to watch kill zombies. But was Abigail Breslin - Little Miss Sunshine - really in that movie? She had what, maybe two lines through the whole thing? And Emma Stone and Jesse Eisenberg? My goodness, but those two actors are so completely dull, and there was absolutely no chemistry between them. I hate to belabor my distaste for Jesse Eisenberg (see our Adventureland review below), but how does he always end up with the girl in his films? He plays such boring and monotonous characters in every movie that I've seen him in. I suppose that in a zombie-filled wasteland, girls just don't have much else to choose from.
Jenni: You be nice to Jesse! Sure, he's not the brightest bulb in the box, but he's cute and sweet. Your jealousy won't keep me from loving him! I'm just sad that his movie wasn't as good as it had been hyped-up to be. Even the surprise cameo near the end couldn't save the film. If anything, that whole sequence just left me confused and thinking again of how stupid the non-zombies in Zombieland really were.
Brandon: Yes, this was such a disappointment. It just had so much potential! Unfortunately I won't be recommending this one to any of my friends. Rather, if you want a great zombie flick, go out and find a copy of 2002's 28 Days Later (not the terrible sequel). That was awesome zombie action! So until next time, the snobs are out. Peace!

You can watch the Zombieland trailer here.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the film. I guess if I do end up seeing it, I will have to keep in mind that it is purely made for entertainment, not for an intense plot, fantastic or unique production.
    I really like what you're doing here though. Your conversation style of posting is way more intriguing than what I am doing. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A zombie film! How wonderful! I for one liked Zombieland, but I am pretty sure it is because I knew exactly what I was getting into before I saw it! 28 days later and 1968 Night of the Living Dead are my ultimate zombie movies! Nicely done once again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie. It is hilarious, entertaining, and has so many great actors and even some new ones that we know recognize as great. We are in complete agreement that this film is "awesome zombie action"!

    ReplyDelete