Who Are These Snobs?

BRANDON - Although he's new to blogging, Brandon's been a snob for his whole life. When he's not toiling away at his day job as an official Taco Bell taste tester, Brandon can be found at his local movie theater trying to get a refund for his ticket to the latest Hollywood blockbuster that failed to meet his lofty expectations. Now he's ready to take his movie criticisms to the World Wide Web.


JENNI - Fresh back from touring with the Vans Warped Tour where her band Hooker Face rocked your body, Jenni has joined forces with Brandon to critique some of Hollywood's awesomest films. Don't let her rock star righteousness distract you - Jenni has a fine eye for discerning movie genius, as well as a quick wit for dispatching Hollywood dreck.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jenni's Top Five Movies

Jenni: Being such movie snobs, Brandon and I often get asked, "Well what movies do you actually like?" So, Brandon and I got to talking this weekend about our top five favorite movies of all time, and we decided to share our lists. This week we'll look at my picks for awesomest movies ever, and next week we'll see if Brandon can top my list without copying any of my goodness.
I'll even begin with my number 1 favorite movie of all time: Forrest Gump. Following the extraordinary life of the lead character, this movie has a little something for everyone - drama, humor, love, action - and you leave feeling totally satisfied. What a fantastic movie!


My number 2 pick is a little less conventional. Kill Bill (both Volumes 1 and 2) is often overshadowed by some of Quentin Tarantino's other great movies, but for me, this is definitely his best! It's a pure Kung-Fu action flick from start to end, though there's definitely a lot of heart at the end. Splitting the epic saga into two separate films was a tough decision for the filmmaker, but it was a choice that ultimately served to make the movie better. There are some tonal differences between volumes 1 and 2, but it's all part of The Bride's journey, and it helps us, as the audience, sympathize with her struggles even better.

Number 3 is a movie that most people probably haven't seen because it didn't have a large theatrical release. The Reader deals with some very adult and controversial subject matter, but it's protagonist, as played by Kate Winslet, leads such a tragic life that you become completely engrossed in her story. Winslet absolutely earned her Academy Award for her performance in this film, and I recommend it to anyone who's willing to brave the R rating to see.


My number 4 pick is a little unconventional for this kind of list, but I've got to give my support to The Matrix. This sci-fi action flick will break your brain as you try to figure out just "What is the Matrix?", but you'll love the ride as your blown away by one of the sharpest action flicks ever made. The special effects seem almost commonplace now, since they're used in just about any movie or TV show made these days, but that's because this movie totally changed action sequences and how they're made. This movie changed the industry! And, if you ignore the two lackluster sequels, this movie can still stand on its own as one of the best action flicks ever.


Finally, number 5 on my list of greatest movies ever is Babel. Again, this movie wasn't a huge blockbuster when it was originally released, and I can see how its theme of miscommunication in every human relationship can be a hard-sell to the general movie-going public. However, stellar performances by all of the actors and a very harrowing plot will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout.


And those are my 5 favorite movies that I can recommend to anyone looking for a great movie. With that, the snobs are out. Peace!


You can view the trailers for any of these movies by clicking on their movie poster.

2 comments:

  1. An interesting list. Forest Gump is definitely one of my favorites, though Kill Bill wouldn't make my personal top five I appreciate your insight which means I have to watch The Reader and Bable, the two on your list I haven't seen. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say you guys have GREAT taste in movies! These would all be on my list of top favorites, however, I don't think I could shorten it down to just 5 or 10! Jenni, I'm so glad you liked The Reader. I thought it was such an amazing film but most of my friends weren't too impressed.

    ReplyDelete