Who Are These Snobs?

BRANDON - Although he's new to blogging, Brandon's been a snob for his whole life. When he's not toiling away at his day job as an official Taco Bell taste tester, Brandon can be found at his local movie theater trying to get a refund for his ticket to the latest Hollywood blockbuster that failed to meet his lofty expectations. Now he's ready to take his movie criticisms to the World Wide Web.


JENNI - Fresh back from touring with the Vans Warped Tour where her band Hooker Face rocked your body, Jenni has joined forces with Brandon to critique some of Hollywood's awesomest films. Don't let her rock star righteousness distract you - Jenni has a fine eye for discerning movie genius, as well as a quick wit for dispatching Hollywood dreck.

Monday, March 22, 2010

The Snobs Take a Gander at Moon



Brandon: Sam Rockwell is one of my favorite actors. He has a knack for picking rolls that feature characters that have a complexity of personality and emotion, and as an actor, he conveys the depths of these characters awesomely. I've been a fan of his ever since he played the double-crossing bad guy in the Charlie's Angels movie, and his acting prowess blew me away in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. The man is incredible, and I was so excited to finally check out his latest cinematic masterpiece, Moon.



Jenni: I'm getting a little jealous over here. Although I also approve of Sam Rockwell as an acting professional, you're kind of gushing about the guy. Do I detect a hint of a man-crush?



Brandon: Never you fret, Jenni, my love. For although my admiration of Sam Rockwell and his superb acting abilities knows no bounds, you are my one and only. But from an objective male point-of-view, how could you not love that man?!



Jenni: Moving on....as I mentioned, I was also excited to see this movie. Other legitimate movie critics had given mostly positive reviews of this futuristic sci-fi flick, which features a very minimalist cast. In Moon, the story follows Sam Rockwell's character, astronaut Sam Bell, who is finishing up his three year tour of duty on a remote moon mining station where he is the lone process supervisor. The three years of solitude with only his trusty computer companion, GERTY (voiced superbly by Kevin Spacey), for company has started to take its toll on Sam, and, after a freak accident during a routine maneuver in one of the lunar rovers, Sam finds himself questioning his own identity, as well as whether he truly is alone on the moon.



Brandon: What a great story concept! The other critics we had listened to had promised a bit of a mystery to unravel, and I know I was excited to find out what was really going on. I suppose my hopes were a little too high for this movie. Not to beat a dead horse, but Sam Rockwell did deliver on the acting front. His portrayal of a man that may or may not be going insane is great. No, the acting wasn't the problem here, it was just my expectations of something more to this film.



Jenni: We're in agreement there. The film was done well, and I would still recommend it to anyone wanting a decent sci-fi flick, but I would hesitate to play up the suspense of the film. Sure, there is a bit of a mystery to the film, but it's pretty easy to figure out what's going on fairly early in the movie. No, the suspense in the film comes after the big "reveal", and you worry about how Sam's going to deal with the revealed truth. It was still a good flick, but it just wasn't the mystery film that I was promised.



Brandon: You summed things up very nicely there. So, go check out Moon, and enjoy it for the great job that Sam Rockwell does. It's worth it just for that! And with that, the snobs are out. Peace!



You can watch the trailer for Moon here.

1 comment:

  1. I am still totally confused by this movie. I watched it with some sci-fri nerd friends of mine and they all LOVED it.... Maybe I just need to see it again to fully appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete