Who Are These Snobs?

BRANDON - Although he's new to blogging, Brandon's been a snob for his whole life. When he's not toiling away at his day job as an official Taco Bell taste tester, Brandon can be found at his local movie theater trying to get a refund for his ticket to the latest Hollywood blockbuster that failed to meet his lofty expectations. Now he's ready to take his movie criticisms to the World Wide Web.


JENNI - Fresh back from touring with the Vans Warped Tour where her band Hooker Face rocked your body, Jenni has joined forces with Brandon to critique some of Hollywood's awesomest films. Don't let her rock star righteousness distract you - Jenni has a fine eye for discerning movie genius, as well as a quick wit for dispatching Hollywood dreck.

Monday, March 29, 2010

The Snobs Take a Trip In the Hot Tub Time Machine


Brandon: Is it possible that the Snobs are actually going to review a movie that's still in theaters? Let's face it, the Big Screen Snobs have been Small Screen Spectators for most (all) of this semester. But, yes, the hype is real. Jenni and Brandon pooled their cash for a babysitter, and treated themselves to a night out on the town!
Jenni: You really are a ladies' man, Brandon, and you know just how to treat me right. Buy me a fancy spaghetti dinner and take me out to see Hot Tub Time Machine, and you've won this girls' heart forever!
Brandon: Yeah, I'm pretty awesome, and this flick was bound to score me some good husband points. Does this movie even need any introduction more than what we've given it already? If you've seen any of the trailers for Hot Tub Time Machine, you already know what this movie's about, and pretty much exactly what happens in the movie. And, if you've been living under a rock for the last 3 weeks and haven't seen any of the millions of commercials that they've been playing on all of the TV networks, the title alone should clue you in to what this movie's about.
Jenni: Yup. This review pretty much writes itself. Hot Tub Time Machine focuses on the exploits of 4 friends who jump into a hot tub in 2010, but walk out in 1986. From there the hilarity ensues. If that sounds funny or entertaining to you, then this movie is right up your alley. If it sounds stupid and lame to you, then you're better off avoiding this movie.
Brandon: Exactly right. This movie was exactly what I was led to believe that it would be, and it lived up to my expectations. There were no surprises, no sappy stories of redemption, and no real moral to be learned. This movie is just goofy fun, and it doesn't try to do anything more than that. For that, I give my conditional endorsement. If this sounds like a movie you'd enjoy, I'm sure you'll like it. If it doesn't sound like fun to you, then you'll hate it.
Jenni: I loved this movie! It was hilarious, infinitely quotable ("Get out of my way, stool!" and "Have you been watching Red Dawn again?" are just a few of the many gems to be found inside), and it had plenty of goofy 80's references to keep the elderly crowd pointing and giggling. I'm telling all my friends to check this one out. And with that, the Snobs are out. Peace!
You can watch the red band trailer here.

3 comments:

  1. I had seen the trailers but hadn't heard anything good or bad about this movie yet. I love all the goofy John Cusack movies from the 80's so if this is all just goofy 80's fun I may just have to go see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to go along and say this is a movie I will never see. I think you said it perfectly when you said "if you have seen the trailers, then you've basically seen the movie." I am sure that the writers wrote this one especially for those looking for a laugher. The fact that this movie trailer was on nearly every commercial I saw over the last 9 weeks or so says to me that the writers were a bit worried it wouldn't do so well once it actually hit the theaters. I can understand the appeal of some stupid funny movies, but the overall plot of this one seems a bit weird. I'm sure you loved it, but I don't plan to see this movie anytime ever. Thanks for your review tho. Very helpful and informative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well before I read your review, I hadn't heard opinions on this from anyone. Now I think I will definitely take some time out to see it considering I can tell I have a pretty similar taste in movies compared to you guys. I hope it's as good as you say!

    ReplyDelete